Brew Time: 4 Minutes
ABOUT CAFE DE OLLA
Our Cafe De Olla is an Organic Mexican coffee from Chiapas, it comes ground and is blended with cinnamon, cocoa, and raw sugar. Because of these ingredients, we don't suggest using a typical filtered brew method. You'll often get a clogged filter and slow extraction which will produce a mediocre tasting cup of coffee. Traditionally, Cafe De Olla is brewed stovetop with something called an 'Olla Pot', but if you don't have that you can also a use more common brewing device - the French Press!
We use a coffee to water ratio of 1:5. So, for every 1 part coffee, we add 5 parts water. So, if you add 100g of coffee, add 500g of water. This is a smaller ratio than you may typically use when brewing with a French Press (we use a 1:12 ratio) but we have tested it and the brew strength is perfect for enjoying Cafe De Olla on its own.
- Heat 850g / 3.5 cups of water in a kettle.
- Rinse French Press with hot water to warm glass.
- Place French Press on a scale, tare, and add 150g of grounds.
- Add 150g of grounds of coffee and tare scale again
- Add 375g of water, stir with a spoon, and let the coffee 'bloom' for one minute. 'Blooming' is letting the gas release, which looks like the grounds bubbling and coffee bed puffing.
- At the 1:00 mark, add 375 more grams of water and wait until your timer hits the 4 minute mark.
- At 4:00 plunge the French Press.
- Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to adjust the ratio up or down depending on your preferences. If you plan on adding milk, you may want to tighten that coffee to water ratio to 1:4.
Email us at email@example.com