Light Body & Sweet
What you'll need: Chemex, chemex filters, and your favorite mug.
- Shape your Chemex filter into a cone with 3 layers to one side. Position the filter in the brewer with layered side facing the spout.
- Rinse the filter with hot water and then toss the water.
- Measure out 40g ground coffee. The grind size should be the size of sea salt.
- Place brewer on a digital scale, add grounds to filter, level the grounds, and zero out scale.
- Start a timer. From 0 - :30, pour 80g water slowly over coffee, starting in the center.
- From :30 - 1:30 pour 200g of water starting in the center of grounds, slowly circling outward, then inward again. New weight: 280g.
- From 1:30 - 2:30 repeat above step with 170g of water. New Weight: 450g.
- From 2:30 - 4:00 repeat once more with 150g of water. New Weight: 600g.
- Let drip from 4:00 - 5:00. Did it drip until 5:00? Good! If longer try coarser grind. If shorter, finer grind.
Sweet, Rich, Fast
What you'll need: Aerobie Aeropress and your favorite mug.
- Place filter in base of device, lock,and rinse with hot water.
- Weigh 18g of ground coffee (medium-fine) and put in brewer.
- Place brewer on mug, add both to a scale and tare to 0.
- Start a timer. Pour 175g of water quickly into Aeropress.
- Stir coffee to ensure grounds are fully saturated. Seal the top of the aeropress with the plunger. The plunger should be barely placed inside, just enough to seal.
- At :50, remove plunger to stir for 3-5 seconds. Place plunger back.
- At 1:45, remove plunger again, stir for 3-5 seconds, place plunger down until a hiss sound begins (20 second process).
- The coffee is ready to enjoy once the coffee and air have been pressed through.
Rich, Heavy-Bodied, Dense
What you'll need: French press
- Heat your French press with hot water. Discard water.
- Weigh 56g of coarse ground coffee. Put in French press.
- Pour water halfway up the press, set timer for 4:00.
- At 1:00, stir the top layer ("bloom"). Pour water in circles starting in the center of the grounds until the water and coffee level have reached the top of the press.
- Let the coffee steep for the remaining time and at 4:00 place the plunger on top and depress.